Diy 4 All Menu

DIY Bathroom Mirror Storage Case

Rate this Post:

{[['', '', ''], ['', '', ''], ['', '', ''], ['', '', ''], ['', '', '']]}

Permalink:

DIY Bathroom Storage Cabinet 
 
Bathroom Organization
How fun is that guys?  Who doesn’t love a some beautiful function in their bathroom?? I DO!
As #3MPartners for 2014, I have teamed up with #3MDIY to bring you this awesome project!
Let’s get started!
Supply List
2 – 1 x 6 x 8 pine or whitewood boards
4 – 1 x 4 x 8 pine or whitewood boards
1/4″ hardwood plywood cut to 19″ x 63″
Full Length beveled mirror (found at Home Depot)
3M Stainable Wood Filler
ScotchBlue Painter’s Tape
3M Advanced Abrasives 120 grit sanding paper
3m safety glasses
4 decorative hinges
1 pull or knob
magnet closures
wood stain of your color choice
I bought all the supplies and wood for this project for under $100.
I started by building out the mirrored door.  I used this great mirror I found at Home Depot for $25.  I love it because it is beveled and it’s also a great quality mirror.  It won’t give you the whole clown house distorted view when you look into it as some of the cheaper full length mirrors will.  This project is done off the specs of this mirror.  If you choose to use a different one, you will need to fix your measurements to fit it.
Home Depot Full Length Mirror
I started with my 1×4 hardwood plywood back.  I had the nice guys at Home Depot cut mine down for me.
How to make a bathroom organizer
Next, I cut my wood for the frame.  I used 1×4 pine boards for this part.  You can also use whitewood to save money, but make sure it is straight!  Anytime I am working, I use my 3M safety gear.  These are my favorite glasses because they stay up on my nose and don’t annoy me!  I actually forget to take them off sometimes when I am done which shows how not annoying they are ;-)  I also use ear plugs to protect my ears!
Wood Bathroom Mirror
Next, I used my Kreg Jig to make 3/4″ pocket holes in each end of my 16″ pieces.
Kreg Jig K5
Wood Mirror Measurements
Before attaching all of my pieces I like to use 3M sanding pads to quickly remove the splinters on the edges.  This paper works great because I can keep it in my pocket and pull it out as I need it quickly… Perfect before attaching your boards!
3m abrasives sand paper
3m sanding paper
I attached my 16″ pieces to my 67″ pieces using 1.25″ pocket hole screws.
pocket hole screws for Kreg Jig
After attaching both ends, my frame looked like this…
Measurements for DIY Mirror Bathroom Case
Next, I added some Gorilla Wood Glue to the frame and attached it down on my 1/4″ hardwood plywood.
How to add trim to mirror
I used my Ryobi cordless stapler to attach it from the back.
Ryobi AirStrike Stapler
After building out the door, I moved onto the frame of the case.
For this part, I used 1×6 pine boards.  I cut two pieces at  23 1/8″ and two pieces at 68 3/4″.  Again, I added 3/4″ pocket holes to my shorter boards.
frame measurements
I used my Kreg Right Angle Clamp to hold everything together while I attached it using 1.25″ pocket hole screws.
Kreg Right Angle Clamp
building a bathroom cabinet
Next, I added my top and bottom braces.   These were the same length as my shelf pieces, so I cut seven 1×4 pieces at 23 1/8″ each.
shelf pieces
 These will be used to attach the cabinet to the wall.  You can see here where I added pocket holes to these boards before I attached them.  This is a shot of the back.  These brace pieces will sit flush with the back of the cabinet.
back of bathroom cabinet
Now, it should look a bit like this…
Bathroom cabinet frame
Time for the shelves!
I added 3/4″ pocket holes to each piece.  You can attach yours wherever you would like, but here is where I attached mine for your reference.
Shelf Placement
Before moving on, I filled all of my pocket holes with 3M wood filler.
3M-Wood-Filler
I filled each hole and then used a scraper to flatten it out.
Scraper for Wood Putty
This wood filler is stainable, and I prefer using it over the plugs on holes like these.  This covers them well enough, and it’s also very easy to do.  Once the putty dries, I use the sanding pad to go back over it again.
Putty for pocket hole
That’s it for the build!
I stopped here and stained everything using Varathane stain from Home Depot in Dark Walnut.  I love this stuff!
After the stain completely dried, I attached my mirror to the door.  I used this mirror adhesive I found at Home Depot to attach it.  I just ran a thin bead on the back side of the mirror all around.  Then, I laid it on the door and used 3M painter’s tape to hold everything in place.
Frame out a mirror
My final step was attaching it to the wall.  I used a stud finder to find my studs in the wall and marked on my frame where the studs would be.  I then used 3″ torx or wood screws to go through my braces and into the wall attaching to the stud.  I did pre drill before going through the brace pieces to keep the wood from splitting.
Hanging a bathroom shelf
I also added 2 to the bottom brace piece.
Hanging the bathroom shelf
I made sure everything was level before attaching the door…
Hanging the bathroom cabinet
To attach my door, I used two clamps to hold the door in place while I added my hinges.  I attached the hinges to the door first and then the frame.
clamp the mirror
How cute are these hinges I found at Home Depot!
Cute furniture hinge from Home Depot
My final step was adding some magnet closures and my pull to the front.  These just screw into place… Super easy!
magnet closure
pulls from home depot
And here she is all finished up!
DIY Bathroom Organization Cabinet
A little shot of the goodness inside…
Organize your rubberbands
I used 3m Command strip hooks to hold my rubber bands and also for my curling and flat iron below.
DIY Bathroom Organizer
And these are those great SnapWare containers I use in my pantry for this shelf!  These are great because they won’t break if they ever do get dropped.  5 kids… It could happen ;-)
Bathroom Organizer
What do you think??
Bathroom Organization
DIY Bathroom Storage Cabinet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme Settings

x

Sidebar Position

Layout Type

Layout Style

Background Pattern

Example Styles